Think of your brain as a necktop computer. Which, of course, it is.
Your brain’s computing power, with its massive network of over 100 billion brain cells, is around 100 TFlop/s (“teraflops” or trillions of calculations per second).
Each one of your billions of brain cells is like a computer processing unit–taking information IN and sending it OUT. It’s the earth’s supreme intelligent machine. And, you are a lucky owner.
The problem is how to boost your brain’s software because the software you are currently using is over 2500 years old!
DID YOU KNOW?
• The worlds #1 supercomputer is–BlueGene–at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California which was built by IBM.
• It has set a new record of 136 TFlop/s (“teraflops” or trillions of calculations per second).
• But human brains are still better than supercomputers in many respects.
• BlueGene will have 50 terabytes (trillion bytes) of memory while the brain has a 100 terabyte capacity.
• Brains are portable. BlueGene is the size of two basketball courts and weighs 200 tons.
• The average brain is 56 cubic inches and weighs 3.3 pounds.
• The human brain is distinguished by its ability to think and create in addition to simply processing information quickly.
BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE …
There’s one big difference between your brain and a supercomputer: consciousness.
You are aware of this difference and a computer is not.
Computers do not have emotions, thoughts and dreams. At least not yet! Artificial Intelligence (AI) is rapidly developing emotional capabilities in computers and robots.